Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Formative Years

Alright, dudes, it's a Who Did What To Who first! I'd like to introduce you to guest contributor Mayor C. Ray Nuggets. (Try to ignore the commas and whatnot he used to space the videos. I tried to convince him that simple space would do, but he's intensely paranoid about crashing your browser. Which is sweet, I guess.)

Take it away, Ray!



When I lived in Kansas I had cable television because we were so far out in the country there was no broadcast TV signal. It was magical. MTV played music videos all the time. I fondly recall watching the video for "Zombie" twenty-twelve times each hour.
(That song is kind of grating to me now so I won't include it here)

This was one of my favorite videos when I was in fifth grade.



I would later almost date a girl named Terikah who rode my bus in middle school. She was very friendly to me but intimidated me about as much as this video did. (I wish I hadn't been so terrified. It could have been beautiful.)


'
'
'
'


'
'
'


All I remember thinking was "What does she want from me???"

[
[
[
[
[
[
[
[
[
[



Really, what did she want from me?

]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]
]


This is the best Janet Jackson video from the formative time. When I watched cable I did alot of waiting.... waiting for this to come on.


/
/
/
The part where she starts biting her lip is key. There is also a heartwarming message of reciprocation which is sorely lacking in modern music.




.
.
.
.
I always wondered what she was going to do to me, but I could never decipher the rapping.
.
.
.
(If only I hadn't been so afraid of that girl on the bus, I might have found out.)

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

y'know what I always got confused about? Just what exactly is Adina's Freaky Secret?

Is the secret that she is a freak? or is there another, freakier revelation in store?

Garrett said...

That's one of those great unanswered questions from the '90s - right up there with "What was the Fresh Prince's old definition of summer madness?"