Wednesday, July 4, 2007

I Hate the Word "Guy"


Last night at work, this drunk dude came up to me and asked, "Would you date a gay guy?" I hesitated. Not because I don't enjoy the company of homosexuals, or because this particular homosexual bore a striking resemblance to Tweedle Dee (or Tweedle Dum, your pick), or even because I am a married, heterosexual woman. I hesitated because I hate the word "Guy." Had he asked me if I would date a gay man, I would have said yes pretty quickly. I feel like the word "Guy" is kind of interchangable with "Douche." This is what happens in my head:

Gay "Guy":


Gay "Man":


And wouldn't you much, much rather go on a date with David Hyde Pierce?

Also, whenever I hear the phrase "Black Guy" it sounds racist to me. Do you know what I mean? So I say we all stop using the word "Guy" whenever possible. "You Guys" is acceptable, I guess, but I really prefer "Y'all". I know, it sounds uneducated, but don't you find it to be infinitely more inviting and (Alright, I have to interject here. I'm barely paying attention to what I'm typing. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is coming out in exactly one week and I can barely contain myself. What am I doing blogging? I should be rereading the book or looking at stills or something!! Next week is going to be so awesooooooooome!!!) personable than "You Guys"? "You Guys" sounds accusatory.




I'm freeeeeakiiiiiing ooooouuuuuuuuuut!!!!

4 comments:

Scott Goodwin said...

"Gay guy" has that terrible double "guh" sound "guh-hey guh-eye" that I can't stand.

Would you date a gay dude, though? Or, a gay cat?

Chelsea said...

i had a gay cat. and i would date a gay dude, but the emphasis must be on dude.

Unknown said...

didn't i date david hyde peirce at one point in my early twenties?

(yes, i'm only in my early mid-twenties, but i like the sound of saying "in my twenties" as i have always been a middle-aged lady)

and i agree that "____ guy" in any way sounds -ist. "Gay guy" sounds homophobic(uh, homophobic-ist ?) to me, as black guy sounds racist. Mildly, but still, you ,know, institutional-strength or something.

Anonymous said...

I hate the word "cougar" to describe a female that's older than the males she beds..it's sexist and stupid, I also hate GUYS as in "you guys" and he's a "good guy" and the word "ma'am"